My First Time In The ER

In this post I wrote about what happened once we made it to the Emergency Room via ambulance. This is the first and only time in my life of going to the ER myself. Needless to say, it wasn’t a very good experience.

“So we make it to the hospital. They take me out the ambulance and roll me into the lobby of the ER. The other paramedic is making small talk with me about my baby’s name. I get into my little ER room. Its about the size of my bathroom at my house.

They start asking me questions and assessing me. They made note of my blood pressure getting low when I attempted to sit up. They want to try to take my blood pressure with me laying down, sitting up and standing. I hesitate. Then I agree we can try.

They take it lying down, normal. We attempt to sit me up to try the next one. Once I start to attempt to sit up, the pain comes back. That was the end of that part of the assessment.

The ER doctor comes in. He starts pushing on parts of my stomach and asking me questions. He moves my legs around to see if the pain comes back. Nothing.

They take blood to run some blood tests and they also want to test my urine. At this point I am thinking, “Awesome, I finally get to pee”. It is probably around 11 am and this whole thing started with me getting out of bed to go pee at 7 am. Needless to say, I had all the urine they would ever need for the tests if we could find a way to get it out my body.

My options were to use the toilet, use a bedpan or get a catheter. Seeing as I couldn’t even sit up, getting out of bed to use the toilet was out of the question. My next option was the bedpan. Every time I would move my hips I would have the pain. That left me with the catheter option.

For some reason I am deathly afraid of catheters. I had one when I was delivering my baby, but I was numb for that. Getting a catheter was not a valid option for me. I asked for some pain medication and I would agreed to try the bed pan.

They gave me a shot of morphine for the pain. Now that I think about it, it didn’t really help with the pain.

I did what I had to do and they took my sample. A little while later they came back and said everything looks normal. The next step would be to get x-rays.

They wheel me out of my little bathroom sized room and bring me into a waiting room for the x-rays. I wait there for about 10 minutes or so. Then, they bring me into the x-ray room. The lift me off my hospital bed onto the x-ray table. This is when I knew the pain medication wasn’t working. That pain came back just as if I hadn’t taken anything. I yell out a few sailor words and then I apologize. They aren’t mad at my language, they could tell I was in severe pain.

We make small talk about my baby while they do my x-rays. Some with me laying on my back and then on my side. Then, they move me back onto the hospital bed. I am sure you have guessed it, the pain came back.

They wheel me back into my room and then me and my husband wait some more.

After awhile, the ER doctor comes back in and asked me when the last time I had a bowel movement was. It may have been a day or two. I thought I may have been constipated lately due to not drinking enough water, but I never thought it would result in this. He said from the x-rays, I was the most backed up he has seen in awhile. He told me to go home, do an enema and take some Metamucil and that should be that.

I must admit, I was embarrassed that all this was caused by a case of severe constipation but I was relieved that it wasn’t something more serious.

Man was I wrong…Or should I say the doctor was.

Then we wait about another 2 hours and a nurse comes in my room and asks why I was still there. Apparently, when the doctor came in, I was to be discharged, but no one told me. That is a whole nother part of what made me upset with this hospital visit.

I was confused though. I came into the hospital because of some pain that caused me to pass out. They didn’t really do anything to make it go away and now they were sending me on my way with the same pain. It didn’t make sense to me. Not that I wanted to do what I had to do at the hospital, but if I was as backed up as he said I was, I was scared that I would go so much at home that I would become dehydrated.

Nevertheless, they were sending me home.

I needed to use the toilet before I left. I don’t know how all ER rooms are but the toilet in this one had a seat that when closed was a little chair that my husband had just spent hours sitting on. I go to try to get out of the hospital bed to use said toilet and the pain comes back and I almost pass out again. One of the nurses is witnessing this so I asked for a cup of water. I drink the water and sit there for a few minutes. The nurse comes back with a wheel chair to take me out of there.

She wheels me out to the car and I go home. Still having the same pain that caused me to pass out and end up in the Emergency Room. Nothing felt any better than it did when I arrived.

Spoiler alert! It wasn’t constipation causing all this chaos. Stay tuned for what I found out later.”

Leave a Reply